Ledger Nano S overview
What are its key features?
- Secure "smartcard chip" protects cryptographic assets and makes it tamper resistant
- Supports open source apps such as Bitcoin and Ethereum
- Digital screen to confirm transactions and view wallets
- Allows you to have 4 or 8 digit pin security lock
- Built in unique access with seed generation and recovery. Guard your 24 words with your life. No one can access your coins if they don't have access to your 24 words
- 24 words allow for easy back up and restoration
- Multi app support. Download apps from Ledger Wallet. Chrome compatible.
- USB connection
- Foldable, compact and easy to carry
- Compatible with other Ledger products
- Can be used with smartphone (need to purchase adapter separately)
How does it ensure security?
- Ledger is the only hardware wallet range to feature a "smartcard chip" which is tamper resistant
- These chips undergo advanced third-party evaluation and certification
- It is malware proof and tamper proof
- Ledgers own secure element operating system (BOLOS) - flexible and open system
- Secured by a 4-8 digit pin code
- Private keys (seed words) are only known and held by you
- Transactions can’t be tampered with as they are physically verified on the embedded screen using latest generation hardware.
What's in the box?
- Ledger Nano S hardware wallet
- USB cable
- Recovery sheet
Does the box have a security seal?
No. The Ledger Nano S hardware wallet no longer comes with a security seal. The device is wrapped in a thin plastic tight wrap. Ensure this is intact when your new Ledger wallet arrives.
What does it do?
Apart from taking your cryptocurrencies offline (which is the safest form of storing crypto assets), the Ledger Nano S hardware wallet can send and receive payments, check your accounts, and manage multiple addresses for each currency. Nano S wallet also supports the FIDO® Universal Second Factor standard that simplifies the authentication process on compatible online services such as GMail, Dashlane, Dropbox or GitHub. Combined with My Ether Wallet (MEW) you can view ERC 20 tokens, send and receive coins and make transactions.
What cryptocurrencies/ tokens are supported?
Ledger Nano S hardware wallet is currently compatible with over 1000 coins. This list is being continuously updated with new firmware releases. You can add apps developed by Ledger and the community through Ledger Live. The following is a list of some currencies supported at present. For a comprehensive list click here.
- Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin Gold, Dash, Dogecoin, Ethereum, Ethereum Classic, Komodo, Litecoin, PoSW, Ripple, Stratis, Zcash, Fido U2F, Hello, Ark, Expanse, UBIQ, PIVX, Vertcoin, Viacoin, Neo, Stealthcoin, Stellar, Hcash, Digibyte, Qtum, BTCP, ZenChash
- All Ethereum based tokens (ERC 20 tokens) including POWR, Golem, Monaco, TenX and a range of others are supported. Please see our Facebook page for regular updates to this list as the list is continuously updated.
What are the specifications?
Dimension and weight
- Size - 98mm x 18mm x 9mm
- Weight - 16.2g
- 64 bits desktop computer Windows (8+), Mac (10.10+) or Linux excluding ARM Processors. Also compatible with Android 7+ smartphones. You will need an OTG kit to connect your Nano S to your smartphone.
- Requires one USB port to plug in your Ledger Nano S.
Microcontroller and connector
- Connector: USB Type Micro-B
- Certification level: CC EAL5+
- Chips: ST31H320 (secure) + STM32F042
What is the user interface?
The super easy Ledger hardware wallet user interface is called Ledger Live. To download Ledger Live click here.
I need help with installation
Ledger Wallet has prepared a series of official tutorials for set up and performing transactions using Ledger Live. Have a look at them on our Facebook Page (Crypto Wallets Australia) or click here for videos.