Ledger Nano S hardware wallet overview
What are the Nano S key features?
- Secure "smartcard chip" protects cryptographic assets and provides a high level of security. The Nano S was the first hardware wallet to be awarded the CSPN security certification by the ANSSI
- Intuitive user interface paired with Ledger Live
- Multi app support through Ledger Live. Over 1000 crypto coins are supported
- Digital screen to confirm transactions and view wallets
- Allows you to create a 4 to 8 digit Pin Code and generates a unique 24 word Recovery Phrase to provide access, backup and recovery in case the wallet is lost
- USB cable to connect with Ledger Live on desktop.
- Can connect to Android smartphones for view mode only (Android 7 and above). OTG kit to connect to phone to be purchased separately.
- Foldable, compact and easy to carry
How does Ledger ensure security?
- Ledger is the only hardware wallet range to feature a "smartcard chip" which is malware and tamper resistant
- These chips undergo advanced third-party evaluation and certification
- Features Ledger's own secure element operating system (BOLOS)
- Secured by a 4-8 digit Pin Code
- Private keys (seed words) are only known and held by you
- Transactions can’t be tampered with as they are physically verified on the embedded screen using latest generation hardware.
What's in the box?
- Ledger Nano S hardware wallet
- USB cable
- Recovery sheet
- Key chain
What does the Ledger Nano S do?
Apart from taking your cryptocurrencies offline, which is the safest way to store crypto assets, theLedger Nano S hardware wallet can send and receive payments, check your account balances, and manage multiple addresses for each currency.
What cryptocurrencies/ tokens are supported by Ledger?
Ledger Nano S hardware wallet is currently compatible with over 1000 coins. This list is being continuously updated with new firmware releases. You can add apps developed by Ledger and the community through Ledger Live. The following is a list of some currencies supported at present. For a comprehensive list click here.
- Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin Gold, Dash, Dogecoin, Ethereum, Ethereum Classic, Komodo, Litecoin, PoSW, Ripple, Stratis, Zcash, Fido U2F, Hello, Ark, Expanse, UBIQ, PIVX, Vertcoin, Viacoin, Neo, Stealthcoin, Stellar, Hcash, Digibyte, Qtum, BTCP, ZenChash
- All Ethereum based tokens (ERC 20 tokens) including POWR, Golem, Monaco, TenX and a range of others are supported. Please see our Facebook page for regular updates to this list as the list is continuously updated.
What are the specifications?
Dimension and weight
- Size - 98mm x 18mm x 9mm
- Weight - 16.2g
- 64 bit desktop computer Windows (8+), Mac (10.10+) or Linux excluding ARM Processors. Also compatible with Android 7+ smartphones. You will need an OTG kit to connect your Nano S to your smartphone (view mode only).
- Requires one USB port on desktop to plug in your Ledger Nano S.
Microcontroller and connector
- Connector: USB Type Micro-B
- Certification level: CC EAL5+
- Chips: ST31H320 (secure) + STM32F042
What is the user interface?
The very intuitive Ledger hardware wallet user interface is called Ledger Live. To download Ledger Live click here.
Ledger Nano S set up instructions
Ledger Wallet has prepared a series of official tutorials for set up and performing transactions using Ledger Live. We highly recommend watching a few video tutorials with step by step instructions prior to configuring and using your hardware wallet. Click here for suggested videos.
Instructions: Set up your Ledger Nano S
You may also want to check out our Frequently Asked Questions page